Sukkot in a
SUKKOT IN A NUTSHELL
When is it this year?
Erev Sukkot – Wednesday 4th October/14th Tishrei 5778
Sukkot VII – Wednesday 11th October 2017/21st Tishrei 5778
When will it be next year?
Erev Sukkot – Sunday 23rd September 2018/14th Tishrei 5779
Sukkot VII – Sunday 30th September 2018/21st Tishrei 5779
What is Sukkot in a nutshell?
It is a Feast of Booths or Feast of Tabernacles
It marks the end of Harvest time and the end of the agricultural year in Israel and the dependence of the people of Israel on the will of G-d
How is it celebrated?
- Build a Sukkah which is a temporary dwelling covered with plant material such as overgrowth or palm leaves to remind us of the fragility of the structures in which Israelites dwelt in their 40 years of travel in the desert after Exodus from slavery in Egypt
- Decorate the sukkah with flowers, lollies and paper decorations
- Eat all our meals in the Sukkah and males sleep in it
- Take Etrog (citron), Lulav (palm frond), Hadassim (myrtle twigs) and Aravot (willow twigs) – The 4 Kinds – bring them together and wave them in 6 directions – they represent the 4 kinds of personalites that comprise the community of Israel whose unity is emphasised on Sukkot.
- Fill the synagogues and streets with song, music and dance
Have Any Questions?
Get in touch now
All Messages Should be Answered Within 48h from the Time
They Arrive and Dummy Text